The Prensky Family Takes Lithuania (co-starring Gail Katz)

July 2004 Trip to Wolf Prensky's ancestral home. Read on for all the details of the first trip in 63 years to Lithuania & Kaunas, Wolf's childhood locale. Written by his son Zachary. Co-Starring Gail Katz, Zach's absolutely fantastic Mother-In-Law

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Checking in at the Hotel Violeta

The second scare of the day came upon reaching our hotel in Druskininkai - Hotel Violeta. A small, recently built hotel with only 20 rooms to its' name, it is set back approx. 1/5th of a mile from the main road. The rooms alloted to my father and I were spacious and modern - however my suite was lacking a kitchen. Given that we were planning on doing a lot of cooking this week, this was trouble. Futhermore, my mother-in-law's room, classified at the same rate as my fathers', was no bigger than one of my closets back home in New York. Honestly, there wasn't much standing room left over after the bed was taken into account. Clearly she couldn't be expected to live here for a week and have it called a vacation!

After bringing in the luggage, my father went off to speak a friend of his whole lives nearby, someone who helped with choosing this location and making the reservation for us. After conferring for close to an hour, my father found me downstairs checking out the turkish baths and said that he had fixed the problem. We were supposed to have rented out the third floor apartment, but there was one or more mix-ups along the way. The apartment was much more spacious and had a full sized kitchen to boot. I went upstairs and helped carry the luggage up to the third floor.

'Apartment' could hardly have been more of a misnomer. What awaited us upstairs was a 2000+ ft two-bedroom, replete with a a huge livingroom overlooking the back lawn and river, a kitchen/dining room twice as large as my own, two baths - one with pool/jaccuzi, and numerous nooks and crannies to fill even the most overpacked traveler's luggage. The cost: $250 a night.

Eileen & I took the master and my mother-in-law slept nearby in the smaller room, still twice as large as her original hotel room. Needless to say, she was all smiles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>
My Yahoo!